Updated: Sep 22, 2019
Walk into any business struggling with low morale and you can feel it. A dreaded sense of "get me outta here!" comes over you.
It is my opinion that morale, good or bad, starts with the owner, flows to the managers, and finally manifest itself in the employees. Always!
As a small business owner, one of your main responsibilities is to create an environment with a great morale. One that ensures a positive culture where people want to work and customers want to do business.
Here's are 6 ways you can boost morale in your business.
1. Be the example. Be positive, encouraging, engaged. Your employees will learn from your example, the things that are important to your business. Not by what you say.
2. Be a storyteller. Continually share the story of why your company exists and what you see for the future. Help your employees to feel part of the story.
3. Listen. Create opportunities for your employees to be heard.
4. Handle conflict quickly. Nothing depletes morale quicker than unresolved conflict.
5. Share the information. Keep your managers in the loop. Let them know what is expected of them and provide them with the information they need to manage effectively.
6. Celebrate wins! When a goal or milestone has been reached "Have a Party!"
A business that has great morale is more productive, has less turnover, and is a greater asset to your community.
Don't just build a small business. Build a great small business by building great morale!